2010 Sydney Mid-West Volunteer of the Year Award Winners Announced
Volunteers from across Sydney's Mid West region gathered last week for the announcement of the 2010 Sydney Mid West Regional Volunteer of the Year Award.
Parramatta's Ern Phang was named 2010 Sydney Mid-West Volunteer of the Year for his outstanding contribution to the community during a ceremony held in Parramatta on Wednesday, 17 November 2010.
The annual Awards recognise the efforts and achievements of the 2.4 million volunteers who work across NSW.
Ern was recognised for his work with the Western Housing for Youth organisation, with which he has been involved for the past four years.
He has devoted his time to improving the lives of young homeless people by ensuring a strong, supportive and safe service is available with Western Housing for Youth.
Ern is now in the running to win the prestigious NSW Volunteer of the Year award, with the winner to be announced by Minister for Volunteering, the Hon. Peter Primrose, at the state Award ceremony to be held on Friday, 3 December 2010 at Parliament House.
Ern will receive a $300 donation towards Western Housing for Youth to help it continue the outstanding work that it currently performs.
NSW Volunteer of the Year Award Manager Kristin Romanis, from the Centre for Volunteering, said that the Sydney Mid-West region had received an outstanding number of nominations.
"Parramatta's nominees were of an exceptional standard but the judges felt that Ern's tireless dedication to volunteering with Western Housing for Youth was a standout," Kristin said.
The Ceremony also announced the following Award winners:
- Ali Yunespour has been named the 2010 Sydney Mid-West Youth Volunteer of the Year. Ali was recognised for his involvement with the International Rotary Club and Indigo Foundation which involved school building projects in Afghanistan, as well as his involvement in English and Citizenship classes for new migrants and refugees in Western Sydney.
- Frank Davies has been recognised as the 2010 Sydney Mid-West Senior Volunteer of the Year. Frank has been involved with a variety of volunteer organisations over the past 10 years and was the driving force behind the opening of the De La Salle Bankstown Soccer Club, as well as being involved with local schools and the annual walk of the Kokoda Track in Concord.
- The dedicated volunteers from the NSW Police Missing Persons Unit has been awarded the 2010 Sydney Mid-West Volunteer Team of the Year. The team consists of five members who collaborate with the Missing Persons Unit and Alzheimer’s Australia to highlight the effects of Alzheimer’s and promote initiatives such as Safe2Walk so that wandering people can return home with minimal disruption.
Congratulations to all of the 2010 Sydney Mid-West Volunteer of the Year Award nominees:
- Rasa Pes of Panania who has volunteered with the RSPCA NSW for almost 2 years
- Nadia Checketts of Dundas who has volunteered with the RSPCA NSW for 1.5 years
- Annette Douglass of North Parramatta who has volunteered with Scouts Australia - 1st Parramatta Scout Group for 24 years
- Barbara Gill of Greenacre who has volunteered with the Cancer Council of NSW for 5 years
- Barry Hanley of Rydalmere who has volunteered with North Sydney Brothers JRLFC for 35 Years
- Jordan Kerr of Glenfield who has volunteered with Murlstone Agricultural High School for 12 months
- Dianne Mayne of Newington who has volunteered with the RSPCA NSW for 1.5 years
- Bill McGuirk of Toongabbi who has volunteered with Toongabbie & District Historical Society Inc. for 22 years
- Marjory Newman of Toongabbi who has volunteered as Court Support at local court for 21 years
- Eleanore Reichel of Merrylands who has volunteered with Australian Scottish Cultural and Information Centre Inc. for 9 Years
- Bree Siely of Punchbowl who has volunteered with RSPCA NSW for 1 year
- Christy Turnbull of Northmead who has volunteered with RSPCA NSW for 1.5 years
- Jessica Vella of Wentworthville who has volunteered with Meals Plus - Parramatta Mission for 1 year
- Alex Bedo of Seven Hills who has volunteered with RSPCA for 1.5 years
- Paul Charlier of Blacktown who has volunteered with MS Australia for 2 years
- Lachlan Coppin of Seven Hill who has volunteered with St Johns Ambulance Australia for 8.5 Years
- Warren Evans of Seven Hills who has volunteered with Seven Hills RSL for 10 years
- Clara Kempers of Prairiewood who has volunteered with Sydney South West Area Health Service for 2.5 years
- Wendie Lambert of Doonside who has volunteered with Computer Pals Blacktown Inc for 6 years
- Diane Langmack of Penrith
- Luke Lewis of Penrith
- Reg Menz of Penrith who has volunteered with Nepean District Historical Society - Arms of Australia Inn for 12 years
- Tony Petrin of Wetherill Park who has volunteered with Northcott Disability Services for 2 years
- Chloe Scott of St Clair who has volunteered with RSPCA for 1 year
- Sydney Thode of Greystanes who has volunteered with Merrylands RSL Club for 11 years
Other volunteer teams recognised for their valuable contributions include:
- Master Swimmers NSW
- Sydney Royal Easter Show Volunteers
- Western Housing for Youth Board
The 2010 NSW Volunteer of the Year Award program is run at a Regional and State level – with 19 regions throughout NSW and eight of them in Sydney. Regional winners are announced in Ceremonies in the Award’s 19 regions from mid-October to mid-November. Regional winners will then be entered for the title of 2010 NSW Volunteer of the Year to be presented on Friday, 3 December at Parliament House in Sydney, to coincide with International Volunteer Day on 5 December.